With three players having left the team, the Merchtem Cats have been looking for some reinforcements for the 2023 season. Today, Baseball Jobs Overseas announced that Canadian-born Phil Wheland has been signed.
Whelan is capable of playing the following positions: P, 1B, RP, RF, CF, LF.
During his college years, Phil played for both the University of Calgary and Vancouver Island University.
Besides being a good hitter with power, he is a good situational hitter and is a threat on the basepaths.
The Cats can also use Phil as a pitcher. He features a fastball that ranges between the low and mid-80s (mph), along with a curve, slider and changeup. He is a strike thrower.
Phil is willing to play any position on the field, when needed. He is the type who works hard in the gym and trains regularly to continually improve his baseball skills. According to Baseball Jobs Overseas “He is a very supportive teammate and works “to create a confident and relaxed energy that spreads throughout the dugout.”
Here are some of his stats over the past years:
- 2022 summer London Majors (Inter-county Baseball League)
- Played in 35 games at first base and in all outfields
- The team won the championship
- Regular season 2 HR 5 Doubles 16 RBI .208 avg .351 slg .319 OBP
- Playoffs 5 RBI 4 R 2 Doubles
- 2019 summer Yorkton Cardinals (Western Canadian Baseball League)
- Played in all 56 games
- 30 percent of hits were for extra bases
- 10-11 in base-stealing attempts
- As a pitcher, 17 strikeouts in 15 innings
- 2019 college season VIU Mariners (Canadian College Baseball Conference)
- League leader in HR (6)
- 4th in RBI’s (19)
- 2nd-team all-conference
- 2018 Summer (Arizona Collegiate wood bat league)
- Team reached finals of playoffs
- .417 batting average
You must be logged in to post a comment.